August 17th, 2006
David Lim knows a thing or two about denim. As the designer and CEO of Kasil Jeans, David sculpts the form fitting denim designs that adorn the likes of Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and a host of other A-list celebs.
Want to be a denim guru yourself–or at least dress like one? Read on (or listen to the Jack and Jen Morning Show on Richmond’s Mix 103.7) for David’s five tips on how to choose the right pair of jeans for your body.
1. Look for a GREAT WASH. Dark washes typically are more flattering and make you look leaner and taller. Also be sure to pick a jean that has a natural looking fade to it, nothing too contrived.
2. Of course the FIT! Balance is key when it comes to fit, and back pocket size and placement are important to make the jeans look balanced and proportionate. Look for a good front rise and a back rise that doesn’t ride too low. The gapping in the back isn’t flattering. The waistband should sit comfortably around your waist, not tight enough to cut off blood circulation. For men: It’s important that the jeans fit flush on the hips.
3. TOP QUALITY FABRIC. Fabric is the foundation for a great jean, and just as good grapes make great wine, good fabric brings out great washes. Good denim will also be able to hold its shape throughout the day. Cheap denim will eventually stretch out within the first two hours of wearing.
4. THE DESIGN. Design is what distinguishes between brands, and subtle details and innovative construction are what defines premium denim. Stay away from anything too loud that screams for attention; simple and clean is timeless. Also, buy brands made in USA. Los Angeles is the capital of premium jeans, and you can’t go wrong if you stick to the right labels.
5. And the last tip for looking for the best premium jean: Just look for the KASIL label. Everything I’ve mentioned is in our label :).