Q&A: How to Match Shoes to a Dress

December 13th, 2007

Q:  I’m planning to wear an all red plain wrap dress with belt. What shoes do I match it with?

Ted Baker Baba HeelsA:  When matching shoes to a dress, the rule is to match the feel of the shoe with the feel of the dress.  Is your dress all about glamour?  Find a glamourous shoe to match.  Similarly, if you’re looking for shoes for a casual sundress, choose a pair of casual shoes.  With your red wrap dress, you’re looking for a shoe that’s as classically sophisticated as your dress is.

What about color?  You have a few different choices:
(1) Match your red dress with a pair of red shoes.  But don’t match the shades exactly–it looks like you’re trying too hard.

(2) Add some sparkle with a pair of metallic shoes.  The beauty of metallic shoes is their versatility, since they pair with outfits of any color.  They’re also a smart answer to multicolored outfits without a dominant color.

(3) If you want to experiment, try pairing the wrap dress with a shoe with a shot of bright color, or a shoe with flashy details.  Some of the best dress-shoe pairings have been those that are unexpected.  Think: Carrie from Sex and the City.

Pictured: Ted Baker Baba Heels in Gunmetal | $150 at Zappos.

Have a great tip about how to match shoes to a dress?

Share it with us in the comments!

Style question?  We’ve got answers.  E-mail us at tips at omiru dot com, or leave us a comment with your question.

Entry Filed under: Q&A, Women, Women's

71 Comments Add your own

• 1. Mimi  |  December 13th, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I’m not a shoe-addict but I love these!!! I love the color, the heel, the peep-toe. I could see this as my “signature shoe”- if there is such a thing- and wear it with everything. Perfect!

• 2. denise  |  December 13th, 2007 at 7:15 pm

I recently bought a pair of blue (almost jewel tone) patent peep toe pumps. What styles/colors of clothing can I pair them with?

• 3. alma  |  February 20th, 2008 at 2:56 am

i bought a multicolored red dress with a casual fabric i wonder what shoe color t match?

• 4. Trisha  |  February 20th, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Hi Alma,

With a multicolored red dress, you can wear either metallic shoes, red shoes, or shoes in any of the colors in the multicolored dress.

Hope that helps–
    Trisha

• 5. Anne  |  October 19th, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I am going to a wedding this coming up Saturday, I have a brown dress with reflextions (you can look in one way and it is dark brown, and the other is kind of brown mix with gold) in gold. What color of shoes can I wear/ accessories?? or is there another option?
    Thanks,
    Anne

• 6. Trisha  |  October 19th, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Hi Anne,

Gold shoes would look lovely with this dress, though brown shoes will also work. Either way, I’d recommend a gold colored clutch to wear with the dress to give you some extra sparkle.

Have fun at the wedding!

Trisha

• 7. Kim  |  October 26th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I have a wedding to go to this upcoming weekend. I bought a green dress but don’t know what colors of shoes would go with it. Any ideas? Do gold shoes match this green dresses?

Kim

• 8. Trisha  |  October 26th, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Hi Kim,

If it’s a warm shade of green, gold would go really well with your green dress. If the green dress is in a cooler shade, you can try silver. Have fun at the wedding!

Trisha

• 9. Kelly  |  November 3rd, 2008 at 8:54 am

Hi Trisha,

I have a wedding in 2 week on a sat night and will be wearing a chocolate brown dress? Do I have to limit myself to brown shoes or can I liven up the outfit and if so how? Thanks

• 10. janny  |  November 26th, 2008 at 5:42 am

am going for a wedding next week, i hv a black dress; will yellow shoe goes wit it?

• 11. Trisha  |  November 27th, 2008 at 12:41 am

Hi Kelly,

A chocolate brown dress works with brown shoes, but it would look even more spectacular with a warm metallic shoe. A muted gold color would look lovely.

Hope that helps!
    Trisha

• 12. Trisha  |  November 27th, 2008 at 12:42 am

Hi Janny,

Yes, it is possible to pull off the black dress - yellow shoe look. Just wear it with confidence!

Have fun at the wedding!
    Trisha

• 13. kc  |  December 1st, 2008 at 12:56 am

i have a banquet to attend and I bought a silver dress that has a gold line 3cm wide running down the dress. what colour of shoes is best?

• 14. Trisha  |  December 1st, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Hi KC,

You can wear either gold or silver shoes with this dress. But you can also wear brightly colored shoes with it.

Hope that helps–
    Trisha

• 15. Desiree  |  January 4th, 2009 at 1:15 am

I’m having a Hollywood Sweet Sixteen and I have this super sparkly silver dress, no other colours.. I have NO idea what to wear with it.. HELP! :)

• 16. Kim  |  January 27th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I have a short cute dress that is dark brown and i have no clue what colour or style shoes i should wear with it. Please help!

• 17. Phillipa Musapatika  |  February 3rd, 2009 at 2:34 am

Am quite pleased with your answers.

I am also planning for a wedding in May, 2009, the colour that i have in my mind is “GOLD” What are the best or unique matching colours with “GOLD”

• 18. natt  |  February 24th, 2009 at 1:48 pm

hello. i am getting married in June. i need help with the color shoes i should give to my bridesmaids that are wearing clover dress(a type of green). but their flower will be in the shade of mostly pink then the leaves green. i was thinking on giving them pink sandals to wear-not too pink but just to match the flowers. what do you think? or should the color of the shoes be just silver? any idea, please…????

• 19. Kat  |  March 7th, 2009 at 10:13 am

Hi, I was wondering what sorts of colors can match with gold ballet flats. I saw the nicest gold ballet flat the other day in the store but don’t know how to pair it with everyday clothes. please help!

• 20. Courtney  |  May 2nd, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Hi, my husband is getting ready to come home from over seas, I bought a Kelly green dress and I am not sure what shoes to wear. I have black open toed heels, or pink open toed heels which ones would looked best. I also have some flip flops I could wear, I just want to dress it up a bit. Please help!!

• 21. carol  |  May 5th, 2009 at 8:17 am

hi, i have a wedding at the end of may and was thinking of wearing a plum coloured dress. what shoe and bag colour would be good with plum? thankyou

• 22. Brandy  |  May 15th, 2009 at 2:02 pm

My bridesmaid dresses are clover. Some of my bridesmaids think that gold shoes would look best and some say no way, go with silver! I need some help!!!!

• 23. lauren  |  July 25th, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I am wearing a dress to a wedding that is a lime green and brown mix dress (polka dots) , what color shoes should I wear? Bronze? Gold? brown? Green?

• 24. Casey  |  August 4th, 2009 at 11:04 am

i bought a light, silk, mint green dress for a wedding. The dress is gorgeous but im having a hard time finding shoes that would match well with it. Any suggestions?

• 25. Areeya  |  September 4th, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Hello, i Have one shoulder mini dress soft-mink in pink tone colour. Can I wear this dress with bright red high heels shoes? Or what shoes colour do you think is the best? Looking forword to go to my friend party

Thanks a lot
    A

• 26. Wardah  |  September 16th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Hi, I have a brown shirt dress with a leather belt thata a slightly lighter shade of brown. What type of shoes should i wear to make the dress more suited to a special occasion. ? should i go with brown shoes also? The dress is very simple but i love it!

Thank YOU!!
    w

• 27. Lisa  |  October 2nd, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I am attending a wedding this month and I am wearing a calf length dark brown dress. The middle has a satin bow that hangs down. Have any suggestions for shoes? I would like something besides just brown. Thanks.

• 28. letzky tan  |  October 14th, 2009 at 5:59 pm

im about to attent a wedding on sun, the attire would be formal but the reception will follow at the beach…. i bought a navy blue dress im wondering what shoes will fit if the reception would be in the beach???

• 29. Simone  |  November 22nd, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I have a pair of red peep toe. I wonder what color of dress would match these. Ideas?

It’s for a wedding on December 6.

• 30. Gwen  |  December 5th, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I also have a pair of high heeled red peep toe shoes, that I love, but I don’t know what to wear with them. Any suggestions??

• 31. cin  |  January 9th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

lol i love shoes especially lased up high heels (no im not goth)im gonna bye these shoe s wonder what im gonna were them with ???!!! :)

• 32. Cindy Nguyen  |  March 25th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hey there! I want to know what color dress match with brown shoe? I’m going to my brother wedding in Nov 2010.

• 33. Aya  |  April 6th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hey there
    I bought a greenish (olive green)-bluish multicolour dress
    I Thought that a red shoe would be nice , cuz the dress is all dull colors so i wanted to make it look brighter
    What shoe shall I wear ? and would a red shoe look nice ?
    Many thanks

• 34. TS  |  May 2nd, 2010 at 9:59 am

i have silver shoes, high heels im wonder what kind of dress should i bye to match

• 35. Molly  |  May 11th, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi,

I have a blush, strapless dress and I don’t know what kind of shoes to get. Its an elegant dress, but the party itself is only semi-formal.

• 36. kate  |  June 7th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

hi,
    maybe you could help me too.
    i am planning to wear a dark and a little bit shiny dress with a pair of red and shiny leather sandals (high heels).
    do you think it’s going to be too much? and what sort of/ colour hand bag would you suggest? i was thinking of something colourful but matching the dress and the shoes.

• 37. PJ  |  June 7th, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I have a dress and its black from the top and then it has white in the bottom and it has big yellow flowers, and its for a graduation, what colour shoes should I wear, and what colour earings? I was thinking silver earings and silver shoes… any thoughts, Thanks

• 38. lisha  |  June 13th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hi,

i have a black dress for my graduation and i was wondering will brown pumps look good with it?
    Thanks.

• 39. lisa  |  June 27th, 2010 at 7:33 pm

i have a black dress with small white polka dots. it is a knee length jersey sheath dress with capped sleeves, v neck, empire waist and ruching to create a mock wrap effect.

would metallic shoes work, or just plain colored pumps?

thanks so much!
    lisa

• 40. Taylor  |  June 28th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Im going with my boyfriend to his brothers wedding. Im thinking about wearing a white dress. Would red shoes go with it, or do you have any other ideas?

• 41. aisha  |  July 2nd, 2010 at 6:31 am

I am going to a wedding 07//03/2010 and i am wearing mink/grayish colored dress what color shoes should i wear

• 42. rich  |  July 16th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I have a green and black dress. Can I wear silver shoes?

• 43. marilyn Collins  |  September 12th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I have a blue shot red silk suit to wear to a 3pm wedding, Help1 What color shoes please?

• 44. gracie  |  September 15th, 2010 at 9:25 am

i have a wedding on 9/18/10 i’m wearing a light mint green dress with a knee injury i can’t wear high heels what color of shoes go with this?

• 45. kathy  |  September 22nd, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I have a wedding to go to in October and I am wearing a mink color dress. It is sorted of a taupe/metallic color. What color shoes can I wear. And since it will be cold I was hoping to not wear strappy /open toe shoes so I could wear stockings. help!

• 46. Jazalie  |  October 2nd, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hi, I’m wearing a short, strapless red dress to a dance in december. Its rouched and bright red but I’m hopeless with shoes! I’ve heard many suggestions but I’m not sure. I have black or brown fringe also white lace-ups any ideas? thanks

• 47. CRYSTAL  |  November 26th, 2010 at 4:03 am

I would like to know what style and colour shoe will match with a peach lace short dress and what bag will go with it.

• 48. Trisha  |  November 28th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

@Crystal - Your peach lace dress sounds lovely. I’d pair it with a gold metallic shoe for some extra sparkle. If you’re tall, you can get away with a fancy pair of ballet flats; else, try a closed toe pump. A dull gold metallic bag would pair wonderfully with the peach dress as well (but not in the exact same shade as the shoes - too matchy matchy) - or maybe even a gray colored bag, as grey and peach look beautiful together.

• 49. MY  |  December 16th, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I have a multi colored dress with yellow flowers on white background and horizontal lines..i have a black strappy heels but im afraid its too much for a busy print dress like this..any suggestion on what shoe to match it with? Thanks.

• 50. CJ  |  February 12th, 2011 at 11:06 am

I am wearing a light blue silk suit to a wedding in Boston the end of April. What color shoes should I wear?

• 51. Amy  |  April 25th, 2011 at 11:22 am

I have a wedding in may and I’m wearing a dark Byzantium color dress and I was wondering what color shoes would look good? Maybe a silver or black?

• 52. GG  |  May 16th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hi there - I have a wedding to attend and I am planning to wear a pale -lavender color dress and it has clear and pewter stone-embellished neckline, what color shoe do you think will look good?

• 53. Amy  |  July 24th, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I have a tea length red formal dress with a white sash for a military ball. It is in late September, so what color shoes are best to pair with it?

• 54. eileen  |  September 10th, 2011 at 10:20 am

Hello, My son is getting married in Oct. Outside, 5:30 pm ceremony and inside reception. I’m 62, 5′4″, 120lbs. I bought a plum colour dress, tee length, it has a crepe jacket, long sleeves, it has a rhinestone closure. I’ve been told to wear silver shoes, but I’m not silver or gold person. I was thinking of black satin with a small rhinestone shoe clip. What do you think of brown satin with clip. Also I know the heel has to be a little thick, (grass).
    Thanks for any advise.

• 55. sowparnika  |  November 23rd, 2011 at 10:11 am

i would like to knoe what kinda dresses suit high heel shoes!..

• 56. chinelo  |  November 26th, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hi, pls I have a dull peach A̶̲̥̅̊₪D̶̲̥̅̊ an olive green dress A̶̲̥̅̊₪D̶̲̥̅̊ don’t know the best colour options for shoes to go with the combibation?

• 57. Eleanor  |  December 30th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I’ve bought a black singlet with ruffles and a high-waisted skirt that is brown but more of a copper colour, can I wear intense purple shoes with the outfit?

Thanks

• 58. Bose  |  January 10th, 2012 at 4:13 am

I want to wear a gold pump shoe with a gold bag but i do not know what colour of dress to wear.

• 59. Ruby  |  January 22nd, 2012 at 7:43 am

I have a light gray pumps. What color dress other than white can i wear with it? Its for a dinner next month.

• 60. loyce  |  January 29th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

hi trisha,
    i admire you the u answer questions of us as friend,
    keep it up my dear,
    like you much with what you are doing

say’s loyce.

• 61. Dee  |  January 31st, 2012 at 9:15 am

I am wearing a Taupe dress with gold around the neck line and gold jewelry for a wedding what color shoes should I wear??

• 62. Trisha  |  February 3rd, 2012 at 12:26 am

Dee -

How about trying a pop of color with your shoes? Try a shoe in a warm color to complement the warmth of the taupe & the gold jewelry - say, orange or yellow? If you want a more safe option, however, you can always try a warm taupe or brown shoe….or even an exotic skin pattern (snakeskin perhaps?). Hope that helps!

Trisha

• 63. Evette Payne-Webster  |  February 10th, 2012 at 11:18 am

please could you help me with the answer to the colours

• 64. Duffy  |  March 29th, 2012 at 9:01 am

I am having a wedding in July. My bridesmaids dress is orange with lime green belt. What color shoe can I use to match.

• 65. Julia  |  April 9th, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Am wearing ablack and khaki coloredstriped maxi dress and was wondering about the color shoes to wear? was wondering if I could wear wedges in a warm coral almost a cross between red and orange? Too much pop?

• 66. phie de la  |  April 25th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

hi. i’m attending a wedding soon and i had a dress made based on the color scheme which was ash-gray knee length dress. it’s a lacey dress. my question is what shoes should i match with this dress? i’ve been trying to look the perfect shoes to match the dress.

• 67. Julie  |  May 7th, 2012 at 8:29 am

Hi, I have brought a gold metalic (H&M) dress for a july wedding reception. Please help me as to what colour shoes/sandles I can wear with it? The dress is knee length and has a pleated effect. I’m really struggling with a colour!

• 68. Janice  |  October 18th, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I have a navy dress with red and burgundy flowers with gold/brown leaves. What shoe should I wear with it?

• 69. Jessica  |  February 5th, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I was wondering how can you pair up converse with a white kind of Taylor swift dress.
    I didn’t want to make the shoes SUPER fancy you see I am a Tom boy/Girly girl so why not live both worlds?

• 70. cynthia calacsan  |  May 3rd, 2013 at 5:41 pm

i would like to know what color for shoes should i get to match a dark blue chiffon, knee-length dress with a pewter-stone embellishment on both shoulders. the wedding is in june @4pm.in california ,garden setting but the reception is inside. the main color is rose pink. i am one of the sponsors. can you also recommend as to what color of earrings can i wear?

• 71. Sinéad  |  July 26th, 2013 at 1:44 am

Hi, im goin 2 a wedin n oct. Hav royal blue shoes wot colour of dress wud match? Need help thanx u