Q: I’m going to visit my dad in Washington DC for the Presidential Inauguration in January and have no idea what to pack for the trip. I need be comfortable and casual while catching up with my dad, but sophisticated and classy, yet still young, while visiting museums and attending the inaugural activities.
Feeling the love for this set? Here’s more information about it.
by Traci Tsai
A: We’ve said this before, but the key to winter style on the East Coast is layers, layers, layers. The weather can be very unpredictable, especially during the winter, so you’ll need to be prepared for anything. On top of that, you’ll be going between indoors and outdoors throughout the day, so you need to be able to adapt quickly. January in DC will likely have lows below freezing and highs around the 40s. Here’s how to get a youthful-yet-sophisticated look for Inauguration:
1. A nice coat is essential. The structured collar on this day coat adds a bit of sophistication while brighter colors keep the look more youthful. Note that you’ll probably want to switch out this coat for a longer, warmer one for evenings out.
2. A textured blouse will keep you young, but is a little more formal than might be your normal every day wear.
3. Most buildings on the East Coast are pretty well heated, but in case you’re in a cooler room, you can pop on a shrug that shows off your blouse but keeps your arms warm.
4. Skinny pants tucked into a pair of flat riding boots is a little classic and a little modern at the same time. The flat boots will keep you comfortable while walking all over town and through museums.
5. You’ll want to keep the bag small, especially with all the security everywhere – but use it to add an extra bit of flair to your outfit!
Have a great tip about how to pull off youthful sophistication? Share it with us in the comments!
7 comments January 6th, 2009