Fall Winter Fashion Formula #9: How to Wear a Sweatervest

March 3rd, 2009

Fall Winter Fashion Formula #9
Feeling the love for this set?  Here’s more information about it.

Sure, you can wear a sweatervest with a formal buttondown shirt and casual jeans, but you can also invert the fashion formula for an outfit that’s more visually interesting.  Simply pair your sweatervest with a foundation of a casual tee and a pair of formal trousers.  Here’s how to get the rest of the sweatervest look:

1.  Start with a simple tee and a pair of wide leg trouser pants.
2.  Layer on a cropped sweatervest over the t-shirt.   Note how the texture of the sweatervest contrasts with the smooth knit of the tee.
3.  Throw on a long tailored blazer. Note how the shawl collar of the vest looks so rich from underneath the blazer.
4.  Accessorize with a bright pair of pumps and a casually chic tote.  Don’t you love how the pumps visually pop?

How do you wear a sweatervest?  Share your style with us in the comments!

Entry Filed under: Ready Made Outfits, Women

8 Comments Add your own

• 1. Jax  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 8:04 am

I have all the elements of this outfit! Well, my sweater vest doesn’t have a shawl collar but it’s gray with navy trim, and cute buttons. I should try this out soon :) Thanks!

• 2. Sal  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 9:37 am

Completely love this. I wear mine more conservatively, but would love to splash out and try a sweater vest with a graphic tee!

• 3. Trisha  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 11:21 am

It’s amazing what a sweatervest can do, isn’t it? I had discounted them for years, but I love how they layer.

• 4. Imogen  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I couldn’t wear anything as chunky as that (my boobs are too big), but I do like knit vest tops over collared shirts or t-shirts.

I love a shoe that pops too!

• 5. Andrea  |  March 4th, 2009 at 5:37 am

I want that tee-shirt, but it’s sold out. Do you have any recommendations for a similar one?

• 6. Trisha  |  March 4th, 2009 at 9:59 am

The t-shirt is from J Crew, but from a previous season. They have a tissue weight flower tee this season that’s screenprinted. It’s not the same thing, but it’s the closest they have this season.

• 7. cauchemar  |  March 4th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I don’t think I like the graphic tee with the sweater vest… sorry!
    But whenever I have a neckline I have to wear it with a solid color underneath because I hate it when only this incomplete design shows … it just looks funky to me.
    the rest is really cute though!

• 8. Caylin  |  December 10th, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I love this fashion. At home I was making a photo montage of my fav clothes and I was about to take a photo of my own clothes- (You see, I have the vest, bag, top, pants, and shoes, and jacket) but then I saw them on here.
    Completely love the idea and thoroughly support it