How do you wear leggings? Glad you asked. We’ve created three outfits for your inspiration pleasure as a case study for how to wear leggings:
Outfit 1: Leggings + Casual Blouse + Miniskirt + Flats
Why does this outfit work? It’s a study in monochromatic dressing—perfect for those of you who are hesitant about trying leggings out. The grey blouse pairs well with the grey miniskirt—and the grey leggings. This kind of monochromatic dressing is great for petites, as it creates an unbroken vertical line, making you look taller. Visual interest is added to the outfit with a pair of royal blue flats and a structured handbag to match.
Outfit 2: Leggings + Tunic + Jacket + Boots
One of the easiest ways to wear leggings is to pair them with a tunic. We chose a tunic in bright blue to add a visual punch. Paired with the bright blue tunic is a pair of leggings in a darker blue color, to create a unified look. We added a short sleeved jacket to layer over the tunic—with a bonus shot of style in the form of a checkerboard plaid pattern. We finished off the outfit with a pair of ankle boots for a sleek, sophisticated look.
Outfit 3: Leggings + Casual Dress + Pumps
Wearing a dress over leggings is a popular way to layer. We have two dress recommendations for pairing over leggings: (1) a close fitting dress (such as a knit dress), cinched with a wide belt, or (2) a billowy bohemian style casual dress. Whether you go with the close fitting or the more loose fitting dress, choose one that falls at or above the knee for the most flattering silhouette and best effect. P.S. Don’t you love that clutch handbag? It instantly dresses up the knit dress.
We’ll leave you with five last thoughts on how to wear leggings:
(1) When you wear a shirt over leggings, your shirt shouldn’t fall past the middle of your thigh. Any lower will throw off your proportions.
(2) When you wear a dress over leggings, the rule is that your dress should fall at or above your knee. If your dress falls below your knee, you run the risk of visually cutting off your legs. Not very flattering.
(3) The key to wearing leggings in style is to get the big-over-small silhouette. So when you choose a shirt to pair with your leggings, look for a roomy shirt that’s anything but skintight. Skintight top + skintight leggings = Minus points for style.
(4) When you look for shoes to pair with your leggings, look for three styles: flats, boots, and pumps. Other types of shoes tend not to work as well as these three styles. Our personal favorite is booties with leggings for a rocker chick inspired look.
(5) Our last tip will help you choose a color for your leggings. When choosing a color for your leggings, we recommend echoing another color already existing in your outfit. That is, if you already have grey in your outfit, a grey pair of leggings could be a great choice. But if you don’t already have red in your outfit, don’t try to slip on a pair of red leggings. Or do it knowing that it’s either going to be either fabulous or frightening…nothing in between.
Have a great tip about how to wear leggings? Share it with us in the comments!
18 comments June 15th, 2009