July 31st, 2009
Traditionally, belts are worn at or near your waistline. But what would happen if you broke that unspoken sartorial rule? You could change up your entire look! With that one simple change, you can take a look from pretty to punky. Here’s how to get a whole new look with a well-placed belt:
1. Start with a drapey top–either knit or woven. The key is to choose a top that has a degree of volume.
2. Cinch in that volume with a belt. Skinny belts are going to work best, as they rein in the volume without visually cutting you in two. We love placing the belt under the bust to create your own version of an empire waist top.
3. Building on the edgy vibe of the self-belted top, slip on a pair of distressed jeans. Nothing too tailored, nothing too elegant.
3. Class up the outfit with a tailored blazer. We love how the stark white blazer contrasts with the distressed denim–and allows the self-belted top to peek out.
4. Finish off the look with a pair of heels (t-strap heels are fun and flirty) and a punky looking bag.
How would you get a whole new look with a belt? Share your style with us in the comments!