Posts filed under 'Shopping Guide'
Chambray is one of the key fabrics of the season, and we can’t get enough of it. Our latest obsession? Chambray accessories, like this dapper chambray tie. We love the look of a chambray tie against a crisp white shirt - or, if you dare to do denim on denim, a light chambray tie against a dark chambray shirt, or vice versa.
$19 at Urban Outfitters.
June 2nd, 2010
What do you need to complete your sneaker collection? A classic California cool tennis shoe, like these SeaVees 5/65s. Wear them with your slim-cut summer shorts for a look that’s tres sportif!
$128 at J Crew.
May 26th, 2010
As we make our way from spring to summer, we encourage you to fill in your wardrobe with casual pieces that still feel polished. Our top recommendations? A Barracuda jacket, a bright madras shirt, Nantucket red flat front shorts, and a heather grey sweatshirt (also perfectly on trend). Here’s eight pieces you need to bridge your closet from spring to summer:
1. Barracuda Jacket | $39.99 (sale) at Gap
2. Of Vice and Virtue Hooded Henley | $38 at Urban Outfitters
3. Braided Stretch Belt | $39.50 at Banana Republic
4. Marled Crewneck Sweatshirt | $24.99 (sale) at Gap
5. Canvas Jack Purcell Lace Up | $59.50 (+ an extra 30% off) at Martin + Osa
6. Rogues Gallery Madras Shirt | $98 at Urban Outfitters
7. Indigo Chambray Shirt | $49.50 at Gap
8. Martin Chino Short | $39.50 (+ an extra 30% off) at Martin + Osa
What will you be wearing? Share your style with us in the comments!
May 25th, 2010
Pictured, from left to right: Jean Jacket | $440 at Patrik Ervell, Cardigan | $330 at Patrik Ervell, Unstructured Blazer | $640 at Patrik Ervell.
Patrik Ervell isn’t one to sit still. His penchant for innovation extends past his fabric choices (he’s been known to use unfamiliar fabrics, such as latex rubber and parachute fabrics). Now that he’s joined the ecommerce club, Ervell is pushing the boundaries of what’s traditional in online retailing. Instead of seeing static imagery, Ervell’s website features rows upon rows of models primping - adjusting collars and fiddling with their hair. But Ervell’s ability to push the boundaries - online, and in making menswear familiar-yet-new - isn’t the only reason to scope out his collection. Ervell knows that menswear is all about the details, and he gets them right.
Shop Patrik Ervell’s full collection at http://www.patrikervell.com.
May 11th, 2010
April, with its incessant showers, may be almost over, but we’re not letting the wet weather dampen our spirits. In the face of dreary weather, we dare you to wear color! We present to you a few choice pieces that exemplify classic American fashion but still manage to push the boundaries on color.
1. Velour Ethan Bellow Pocket Jacket | $210 at Steven Alan
2. Tea Stained Scarf | $24.50 at Gap
3. Brandon Plaid Shirt | $49.50 at Gap
4. BDG Blocked Pocket V-Neck | $20 at Urban Outfitters
5. Short Sleeve Chambray Shirt | $39.50 at Gap
6. Vans Authentic Sneaker | $45 at Urban Outfitters
What will you be wearing? Share your style with us in the comments.
April 27th, 2010
Perfectly lightweight and effortlessly chic, cotton madras fabrics feel quintessentially summery, as befits their Indian roots. (The name "madras" comes from the old British name for Chennai, the Indian city that popularized the fabric.) In shirts, shorts - and even jackets and pants, madras fabrics are found in plaid-type patterns - some crisply plaid, with others featuring colors that softly bleed into one another.
Style tip? Because madras fabrics are so breathable and lightweight, they’re the perfect summer fabric - and as such, should be worn only when temperatures permit. Stock up now, and break your madras out once the temperature hits the mid-70s.
With fashion’s obsession with all things prep, they haven’t felt quite this fresh since the 1980s. Since madras fabrics never really go out of style, we’d recommend picking up a few pieces now for seasons to come. Here’s five madras pieces worth a look (#2 and #5 courtesy of Gary):
1. Gitman Vintage Purple Madras Shirt | $156 at Oak
2. Plantation Madras Plaid Shirt | $69.50 at J Crew
3. Thompson Madras Plaid Shirt | $79.50 at Rugby
4. Narrow Indian Madras Gold Tie | $85 at Polo Ralph Lauren
5. Button Down Shirt in Hillside Madras | $69.50 at J Crew
How will you wear madras? Share your style with us in the comments!
April 20th, 2010
Fashion’s nostalgia for Americana finds no better textile expression than in the beauty of a chambray shirt. We’ve collected (and featured) chambray shirts in assorted shades of blue. But we encourage you to go beyond basic blue chambray and explore other hues, like this fetching red on this rinsed chambray shirt. How to wear red chambray? We love the red chambray shirt worn with a nod to its workman roots - paired with dark denim and a pair of (desert) boots.
$49.50 at Gap.
April 19th, 2010
Quality fabrics, designer collaborations, and a keen sense of styling has transformed J Crew from a catalog retailer into a definitive force in menswear. So it’s no surprise that we’ve got our eye on J Crew as we suss out key pieces to add to our wardrobes for spring. Spring 2010 at J Crew is about the easy classics - the chambray shirt, inventive takes on gingham, chinos, madras shorts, slim cut denim, glen plaid - and of course, the trilby hat. Here’s five of our favorite J Crew picks for Spring 2010:
1. Seagrass Trilby Hat | $40 at J Crew
2. Pinpoint Oxford Shirt in Shadow Gingham | $59.50 at J Crew
3. Quoddy Grizzly Boots | $360 at J Crew
4. Mini Glen Plaid Ludlow Sportcoat | $148 at J Crew
5. Broken in Chino in Regular Fit | $59.50 at J Crew
PS: If you’re interested in a preview of J Crew’s Fall 2010 collection, A Continuous Lean has the scoop.
April 13th, 2010
Can a watch turn heads? This solar-powered scrolling LCD watch tells you the time in a way that makes a statement. Wear this watch with a sense of humor - and a bevy of tech gadgets. An iPad, anyone?
$30 at Urban Outfitters.
April 7th, 2010
April means transition weather - the awkward space between the cool winter days and the weather we associate with spring. You don’t want to be hauling your winter parkas around, but it’s not quite warm enough to be headed out without a jacket in tow. What to do? Choose a lightweight jacket to throw over your tees and button-down shirts. Neutrals, khakis, and browns are big this season - and will pair well with the rest of your wardrobe. But, if you’re up for it, we encourage you to try something a bit different - a chambray parka or a deep green Baracuta jacket will certainly anchor your spring wardrobe.
1. The Smooth Company Chambray Shawl Collar Parka | $200 at Urban Outfitters
2. Members Only Racer Jacket | $78 at Urban Outfitters
3. Cadet Jacket | $128 at J Crew
4. Four Pocket Cotton Jacket | $150 at Banana Republic
5. Baracuta G9 Harrington Jacket | $275 at J Crew
April 6th, 2010